Health Canada is advising parents and caregivers to keep reed diffusers out of reach of children and to teach them about the potential hazards posed by these products.
Reed diffusers are home fragrance products that consist of a bottle, scented oils and reeds (thin wooden sticks used to diffuse the oil). These products can come in various colours and sizes. There are several different types of oils used in reed diffuser products, some of which may be harmful if ingested. See Hazard tab for details.
▲Health Canada has received reports of children becoming ill after ingesting the liquid contents of reed diffuser products.
• Keep reed diffusers and any product containing oils out of reach of young children and locked out of sight when not in use.
• Consumers should read the labels on the bottles to be aware of the hazards posed by the product.
• Make sure children understand the hazard symbols on household chemical products, so they do not unintentionally harm themselves or others.
• Read more about Poison Prevention.
If a child does access the contents of a reed diffuser, parents should contact the nearest poison control centre or call 911. The contact number is generally on the first page of your telephone book under Emergency Numbers.
For further information contact your nearest Health Canada Product Safety Office by phone at 1-866-662-0666 (toll-free) or email at firstname.lastname@example.org (please indicate the province or territory from which you are corresponding).